The skills-based organization and skills-based hiring have been talked about for several years now. Despite this, many employers are yet to start a shift towards skills or are still at a very early stage of the process.
So why is being skilled-based so important, and what are the implications for companies that haven't yet started a transition towards skills-based hiring and talent management? Is this another HR fad or a critical re-imagining of how we think about talent in a world of continued disruptive change?
My guest this week is David Blake, CEO of Degreed, a skills-based learning and development technology platform. David is a passionate advocate for the advantages that skills-based organizations will have in our AI-driven future of work.
In the interview, we discuss:
- Why is a skilled-based approach so important, and how does it translate into business success?
- Job titles are not the same as skills.
- Getting the best out of people
- Jailbreaking the college degree.
- Skills versus qualifications and experience
- Evolving the recruiting process to hire for skills
- Reskilling and upskilling
- Why the skills gap will continue to get bigger and bigger
- In demand skills
- Thinking differently about talent
- How will AI define the future of work?